Hello, weekend is coming and we will have more spare time with the kids. Here is one of my idea to make a creative activity with Kalki and Kavin. My sons need figures to play instead of dolls, so I tried to make them cartoon wayangs with their own characters, Kalki and Kavin. With wayang Kalki learns about storytelling and confidence 🙂
Let’s go, I’ll show you how to make some…
Tools and Materials
- Piece of carton
- Palm sticks
- Coloring Pencils
How to make
- Draw a character on a piece of carton. What I drew was my sons, Kalki and Kavin figures. You can draw your children figures or any animation characters.
- Color the character or let your children do the coloring.
- Cut out the character and then also cut off the joints: the arms, elbows and knees.
- Join each arm to the shouldres and join the elbows together as well as the knees by sewing them with the thread and needle. I just need to make two holes to sew the joints.
- Attach the palm stick to the character’s center body on the backside of the carton. Use the tape to stick it.
- Attach a palm stick to each hands and fix it with the tape.
- A cartoon wayang made on carton is done! Ready to play…!
Just after I have finished making the Kalki and Kavin cartoon wayang, Kalki asked me for Oma and Opa cartoon wayang. And then Maybe he would ask for more characters…
So I made him two cars cartoon wayang instead. Because they are easier, I didn’t need to sew the carton. I just draw, color, cut out and then attach the stick and it’s done.
Kalki played the cartoon wayang in the dark with a white screen and a shooting lamp behind the screen. So there were the shadows of the wayang on the screen. He made up a story while playing the characters. But you don’t need to play with the screen and lamp. You can make a scenery background instead.
Happy playing cartoon wayang 🙂